The Alberta Ferret Society (AFS) is a non-profit, charitable organization, founded in 1997 and operated by a province-wide network of devoted ferret-wise volunteers.
The primary objectives of the Alberta Ferret Society are:
- To promote the health and well-being of the domestic ferret (mustela putorius furo).
- To provide a rescue and adoption service specifically for ferrets, in order to compliment and lessen the strain on other animal welfare organizations.
- To find safe, healthy and caring adoptive homes for sheltered ferrets.
- To provide medical treatment, rehabilitation or when necessary, long-term care for sheltered ferrets that are too traumatized, elderly or ill to be easily adopted.
- To provide education on the care and handling of the domestic ferret to all people, organizations and businesses with an interest in ferrets.
- To promote proper veterinary care for ferrets through contact with veterinary clinics and associations.
- To represent and promote the best interest of ferrets at a provincial and local government level.
Read “Our Story” to find out how the Alberta Ferret Society became Alberta’s only Provincial Ferret Rescue.